Further Information For Academics
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships are collaborations between academics and a company that needs their expertise. Together they devise and manage a two-three year project, which is of strategic importance to the company, and is intellectually challenging to the academic.
A graduate, known as a KTP Associate, carries out the programme of work in the Company. The Associate has a company supervisor. In addition, the academic provides supervision (one day per week) for the duration of the project.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships are targeted at SME's (small to medium enterprises) with no more than 250 employees and operate in a variety of sectors, offering opportunities to academics from a wide range of disciplines.
What Benefits are there for academics taking part in KTP?
Academic staff have skills of great value to industry. Since 1975, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (formerly known as TCS) have provided academics with a rewarding way of developing and exploiting their own expertise by sharing it with industry.
By taking part, you have the opportunity to help businesses to adopt modern technology and methods to enable them to become more competitive in today's economic environment.
Benefits to Academics
- £21,000 over 2 years to support your academic activities
- KTP income can be included in the RAE (each Partnership is worth approx £100k)
- Material for publications and papers
- Opportunity to work in a commercial environment
- Undergraduate and postgraduate research projects and placements
- Attendance at conferences and seminars
- Building relationships with industrial partners
Further Information For Graduates
For graduates who become KTP Associates there are exciting practical projects at the forefront of business and technology.
You learn by experience, working with senior managers and academics on demanding tasks with real commercial, social and time constraints.
It is also widely accepted that a Knowledge Transfer Partnership appointment is the route by which the best graduates can accelerate their industrial careers.
Benefits for graduates who become KTP “Associates”
- Associates benefit from student membership of the Chartered Management Institute and have the opportunity of obtaining NVQ level 4 in management. (Free of charge to KTP Associates.)
- Approximately 50% of Associates register for a higher degree during their Partnership.
- Approximately 70% of KTP Associates are offered permanent employment by their host company on completion of their Project.
- Competitive Salary.